Thursday 7 June 2012

Canary Wharf: One Canada Square

While in London I am interning at The Daily Mirror at the fashion desk.  The office is located at One Canada Square in Canary Wharf off the Jubilee Line.  The Daily Mirror has a very large circulation and readership in England.  We learned in class at the London College of Fashion that England is still very much into reading newspapers which I found to be true based on my observations on the tube.

Canary Wharf is a lovely area next to the water.  There are many restaurants where professionals can be seen eating outside on a nice day on their lunch break or after work.  It is the financial district of London.  You can walk along the water or eat lunch on the grass.  For rainy days you can wander around the four floor mall, which happens to be attached to the building I work in (very bad for my wallet).  The residential apartments located around the corner next to the water are absolutely stunning.  If I were to ever move to London I would have to save up for one of these.

At the Daily Mirror I am at the fashion desk with Ayana.  Typically we do a lot of work in the 'fashion cupboard' (aka the closet) going through samples and doing returns.  I have learned a lot doing this about what British brands are out there and have become familar with the department stores as well.  We have also done research for trends.  We manage the phones sometimes and make calls to request samples for photoshoots.  This week I researched gift ideas for Father's Day.  Ayana had the opportunity to help out at a photoshoot last week and she had a lot of fun.  I am excited for my chance to help out next!

Working at a daily newspaper is a very fast-paced environment.  Not so much for the interns but the editors are always extremely busy.  Their phones ring off the hook, they are always running off to a meeting or trying to make a deadline.  They all work very hard here.



One Canada Square


Canary Wharf Station


First day at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment